EquipmentShare Track’s Geofences feature can make your jobsite safer and more productive.
So much more than just GPS tracking, location-based technology opens up a whole world of possibilities for fleet managers. From improved security to reduced waste, Geofences allow you to maintain total control over your entire fleet all the time.
What are geofences?
Geofences are a boundary on a map you can draw to trigger alerts when something nears, enters or exits that boundary. You can set up automatic alerts for vehicles or equipment entering or exiting, or any other geographically triggered event.
How can you use this technology?
- You can track the amount of time your equipment spends at the repair shop simply by creating a geofence around your dealer shops. This allows you to report on exactly how often and for how long each asset is in the shop — an important step to tracking the health of your fleet and identifying assets that are starting to cost you more than they are worth.
- You can also view the total cost of equipment within a jobsite using similar steps — just draw a geofence around the site and track assets within it.
- By establishing geographic boundaries and/or after-hours restrictions, you’ll be notified anytime a piece of equipment isn’t where it’s supposed to be. If it’s stolen, GPS makes it easy to locate and recover. If it’s “borrowed” by a contractor moonlighting with your machine, you’ll know as soon as it happens.
How to use geofences in EquipmentShare Track
Track comes with geofencing features included, allowing you to set up virtual boundaries where they will benefit you most. Here’s how to use it:
- After logging into your Track app, click on “Geofences” on the left navigation. In this tab you will be able to manage your geofences, including managing alerts, changing time details and overseeing assets for this location. But for now, we want to set up a new geofence. Click on “+ Add New Geofence” in the upper right corner.
- Using the map, either type the location into the search box or scroll onto the desired geofence location. Scroll in and out using the + and – buttons in the lower right of the map. You can blow the map up to full screen using the box icon underneath “Drawing.”
- When you are displaying the desired location, select the “Drawing” button in the top right corner of the map. A new bar will appear with four options.
- Use the hand tool to drag the map.
- The circle tool is used to draw circular geofences.
- The polygon allows you to draw custom shapes for geofences. Place markers along the border of the desired location and it will connect them automatically.
- Use the square tool to draw rectangular outlines around jobsite or yards.
- When you have outlined your geofence location, a popup window will appear. Type in the location’s name in the provided space, choose a color for it and check whether you want to receive entry and/or exit alerts.
- Now go back to “Geofences,” select your new boundary and click “Manage.” Here you can adjust alert settings and set Timefence Details which will generate alerts when activity occurs within the geofence. You’ll also be able to see any Track-equipped assets within the geofence, including vehicles, equipment and rentals.
- To change the boundaries, select the “Redraw” button under “Geofence Details.” To delete it, use the “Delete” button.
Note: You can also draw geofences in the same way on the “Map” tab.
That’s it — you’re all set. Track gives you easy access to geofences, so you can start reaping the rewards right away.